These are the only South Sudanese female DJs – [List + Photos]
Anyone who frequents clubs in Juba and South Sudanese events around the world and in the country knows that male headliners are the norm. More often than not, when music lovers hit the dance floor at popular night clubs, the person behind the booth is male.
Music concerts, which draw crowds and feature popular artists are consistently dominated by male DJs. The appearance of female DJs is none.
But in recent years women have proved that they can work well in this male-dominated field. Increased female participation in DJing is encouraging, but celebrating female talent and promoting their visibility will help ensure women are given equal credit for their contributions to the music industry.
It’s an uphill battle for the few women who truly want to make it behind the turntables and successfully integrate the male-dominated industry. In a mission to erase the assumption that men know more about music and technical equipment, female DJs have to hustle and take every gig they can get.
Majority of South Sudanese girls are guided in the conservative way — go to school, get married for hundreds for cattle — many girls are breaking away from that age-old norm to join the business of disc jockeying.
These only South Sudanese female DJs are breaking barriers and they working hard to become household names in this male-dominated profession.
1. DJ Jenny Nyibol – Lives in Australia. She is popular among South Sudanese and Africans in Australia for organising her own events.
2. DJ Nile Queen – Based in USA, she was the first South Sudanese female to become DJ in around 2007/8
3. DJ Selectah Empress – The only home grown DJ, she studied Deejaying in Kenya and now plays at Club Signature on ladies night.
4. DJ Black (Betty Ayaa) – Little is not known about DJ Black. We are told she lives in Australia
5. DJ Stiletto – A model and DJ at the same time, she lives in USA.
So when you see a female-DJ playing, how does it make you feel? Is it appealing? Unattractive? Surprising? Impressive? Unusual?
Let us hear from us in comments.